Clothing Pattern Making
An overview of pattern making to understand how we do the way our work.
1. The Center Front & Waist Line
The Center Front and Waist Lines of the body have two basic position lines that used to create patterns:
1. On the paper, draw two outlines at right angles.
2. On the body, measure neck to the waist and mark this length on the Center Front line.
2. The Side Front Line
The Side Front Line establishes the location of the shoulder seam at the neck.
1. On the body, measure from the Center Front line to the side of the neck and draw the Side Front Line at this location.
2. On the body, measure from the Shoulder Seam at the neck to the Waist and mark this length on the Side Front Line.
3. The Shoulder Seam
The Shoulder Seam can now be completed.
1. On the body, measure from the Center Front Line to the outside of the Shoulder Seam. Draw the Shoulder Width line at this distance.
2. On the body, measure from the Center Front at the Waist to the Shoulder Seam. Mark this distance on the Shoulder Width and draw in the Shoulder Seam.
4. The Width of the Body
To establish the Side Seam, determine the width of the body.
1. On the body at the bust, measure from the Center Front to the Side Seam. Draw the Bust Width Line at this distance.
2. On the body at the waist, measure from the Center Front to the Side Seam. Make a mark on the Waist Line at this point.
5. The Side Seam
The length of the Side Seam can now be determined.
1. On the Waist Line, find a point half way between the Bust Width and the side of the Waist. Measure up the length of the Side Seam and make a mark on the Bust Width Line.
2. Draw in the Side Seam.
6. The Neck & Arms eye Curves
To complete the pattern, draw in the Neck and Arms eye Curves. The pattern can now be cut out and fitted to 1.determine the exact contours of the body.